Monday, March 8, 2010

Filling the Time

One of the major problems with being unemployed is that there is suddenly a wealth of free time that wasn't there before. At the start of your jobless time it is actually quite nice to have some quality days to just relax and get a few chores and errands done. After a few weeks or even months, it becomes clear that errands and chores don't really take up that much time, and daytime T.V. is pretty craptacular. I needed to do something with myself to not feel like such a waste of space, and here's some of the things I came up with.

-Volunteering for Utah AIDS Foundation
-Volunteering at KUED Channel 7 in the Creative Services Department
-Starting a Blog, or two
-Working on writing projects that I didn't have time for while I was working
-Doing Committee work for the Utah Heritage Foundation
-Substitute Teaching
-Volunteering for Peter Corroon's Campaign for Governor

These things might not be exactly what everyone else would want to do to stay busy, but they were good for me. I only put them down as an example of some of the many options out there for unemployed people. It was amazing how happy these people and organizations were to have me come and help, and how much better and more valuable I felt as a result. In addition to getting me out of the house, these simple activities gave me networking opportunities that I would never have gotten by sitting around moping. Getting out and meeting new people is a great way to find out about jobs and see what things might interest you in your search. Also, these types of things look great on a resume, especially if you have a sparse one to begin with. Check back for more ideas in this vein.

No comments:

Post a Comment